[Plugtest-org] Evidently another Plugfest in Berlin?

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 25 18:22:14 CEST 2012

Louis Suárez-Potts <luispo at gmail.com> wrote on 06/22/2012 01:49:57 PM:

> Subject: Re: [Plugtest-org] Evidently another Plugfest in Berlin?
>
> Hm. Bit of a surprise to me, too. We had discussed on the OIC call
> last Wednesday week the idea of a time frame and possibly location
> (Europe) but that was it; I had suggested it better we stick with
> really neutral spaces for the plugfest.

Just a quick point on "neutrality".  We need to think about what that
means.  After all, we just had a Plugfest hosted by Microsoft at their
offices in Brussels.  Personally, I think that was sufficiently neutral,
since the planning was open and the execution focused on technical
interop.

I imagine it was a symmetrical consideration for past Plugfests which were
concurrent with OOo conferences.  Although some Microsoft people attended
and even presented in the OOo conference sessions, we made an effort to
maintain the Plugfest as an independent event within the overall
conference.

So the question might be put as:  what kind of neutrality do we need?  And
how can we achieve it?  I'm trying to keep an open mind here, that such a
Plugfest can be neutral and welcoming to all.  But this is made more
difficult with the inflammatory language I'm reading now, e.g.,

http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/marketing/msg05552.html

or

https://open.nlnet.nl/pipermail/plugtest-organisers/2012-June/000266.html

It is absurd, for example to claim that I am trying to block ("vehemently
opposed") the LO Plugfest proposal, when a) I have not seen any proposal,
and b) I have expressed no opinion on LO hosting a Plugfest.

I think I am owed an apology for this.

-Rob

> Louis
>
> On 22 June 2012 13:34,  <robert_weir at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > I'm surprised that I'm reading this in the press when no discussion or
> > proposal has been made on this list, but there appears to be another
ODF