[Plugtest-org] Microsoft proposal to host 8th ODF plugfest in Brussel

Michiel Leenaars michiel.ml at nlnet.nl
Wed Jul 27 16:22:45 CEST 2011

Hello Doug,

DM> I'd like to follow up on the Eighth plugfest which is suggested
DM> to take place in the period of 23/4/12 to 4/5/12.  I have
DM> verified that we have space available and could offer to host
DM> that plugfest at Microsoft's EBC (Executive Briefing Center)
DM> in Brussels during April 26-27, 2012.  It's a nice facility,
DM> and at that time we'll be free to go into full detail
DM> on our ODF plans for the next release of Office,
DM> which I think attendees will find interesting.

thank you for this generous offer, and sorry for the delay in my reply.
I took some time off after the plugfest.

I personally think that it would be really excellent if Microsoft would
be to host the eight ODF plugfest. Of course I don't claim it is up to
me to decide, rather I think there should be a rough consensus among
members of this mailing list.

I can imagine there are people with second thoughts. So far the ODF
plugfests have been hosted by governments and academic institutions -
on neutral grounds so to say. That helped to underpin the fact that
real world interoperability is something that is a very high priority
of regulators and customers alike, which requires vendors to work
together precompetitively.

I think we have come at a stage in time where we can say that ODF and
the ODF plugfests have reached a level of maturity where there is no
fear that the neutrality of the event is threatened by whomever
provides the meeting room, the food and the complementary gender-
neutral belly dancers. I know the Brussels Microsoft facility, and
agree that it would be very suitable for the event. And of course
it would be great to see you again - you were sorely missed at the
last couple of plugfests.

So what do the people on this list think? I propose we give people two
weeks to respond to the proposal via the mailing list, and table a
final decision during a planning meeting by phone mid August - if that
works for Doug?

Kind regards,
Michiel