[Officeshots] Symbian client

Maximilian Odendahl info at sept-solutions.de
Thu Mar 12 01:31:29 CET 2009

Hi Sander,

> Does OfficeReader run constantly or does it start/stop for every
> document? I am asking because I don't see you closing the document or
> application

when I tell the system to open the file, a so called recognizer is
called, which will either switch to the current document if the app is
already open or start the app automatically if it is not yet started. So
no matter what state it is in, it always works without any extra
code(the magic is inside the recognizer, which handles a specific file type)

 > when it crashes
> you do indicate that it's a recoverable error by setting the second
> parameter of OfficeReaderException to True. This means that the factory
> will keep on accepting jobs from the server.

exactly, if it does crash, it is simply started the next time again

> I am wondering because you send out SMS messages on failure. If there's
> a large queue on the server for OfficeReader and something goes wrong it
> could become costly if it started sending dozens of text messages :-)

well, it is a mature and well designed software, so I don't really
expect it to crash often :-) But you maybe don't want it at all, that's
why I made it configurable.

> Also, around line 50 you may want to explicitly only accept jobs with an
> empty format or png format and return an exception for other formats.
> It's possible that a user makes an error in the configuration that
> causes jobs to be accepted for pdf or odf output formats.

It is derived from Backend, so isn't Backend.can_process exactly doing this?

Best regards
Max