[Officeshots] Symbian client

Sander Marechal s.marechal at jejik.com
Thu Mar 12 11:43:02 CET 2009

Maximilian Odendahl wrote:
> when I tell the system to open the file, a so called recognizer is
> called, which will either switch to the current document if the app is
> already open or start the app automatically if it is not yet started. If it does crash, it is simply started the next time again

Great :-)

>> I am wondering because you send out SMS messages on failure. If there's
>> a large queue on the server for OfficeReader and something goes wrong it
>> could become costly if it started sending dozens of text messages :-)
>
> well, it is a mature and well designed software, so I don't really
> expect it to crash often :-) But you maybe don't want it at all, that's
> why I made it configurable.

It's fine the way it is. This isn't a problem when the content handler
restarts the crashed app as you described above. It would only have been
a problem when a crashed OfficeReader would cause all queued jobs to fail.

> It is derived from Backend, so isn't Backend.can_process exactly doing this?

As you wrote in your other e-mail, not when there has been a
configuration error. Backend.can_process only checks the job against the
configuration, not against what it can actually do.

Hmmm... there's room for improvement here...

--
Sander Marechal