[ODFPlugtest] MSO does not read LO files

Andreas Guelzow aguelzow at pyrshep.ca
Tue Jun 28 09:29:58 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 15:54 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> My recommendation is that ODF 1.2 producers should not include a
> <manifest:manifest> manifest:version="1.2" attribute unless the
> manifest is actually introducing something that *requires* ODF 1.2
> manifest processing to get right.

Not including the attribute means that file as a whole will not be valid
ODF. The attribute is not optional but required by the 1.2 schema.
Simply said,  MS Office 2010 does cannot handle ODF1.2. I think
suggesting that producers violate ODF1.2 is absolutely the wrong thing
to do. If members of the ODF TC feel that this is a problem, it is not
too late to change the ODF1.2 standard.

> (This is embarrassing.  I think I drafted the text that made this new
> attribute usage mandatory.  I wasn't thinking about down-level
> consequences, and that is not like me.  I still think producers should
> make the deviation rather than be slavish about conformance here,
> because interoperability is more important in this case.  I don't know
> if we can relax this with an errata or not.)

So in which cases is conformance not important?

Andreas

Andreas Guelzow <aguelzow at pyrshep.ca>