[ODFPlugtest] MSO does not read LO files

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Tue Jun 28 00:54:06 CEST 2011

I ran into this.  It applies to Microsoft Office 2010 and Office 2007.  I don't think it applies to Office 2003 with the Compatibility Pack and the ODF Converter 4.0.

It seems that the ODF 1.1-aware Office applications provide a strict check on the manifest.xml schema.  (The rules about foreign elements and such have never been extended to the package and its manifest, as far as I can tell.)

I also found a weird file from an Office 2007 application that LibreOffice 3.3.2, maybe 3.4.0, claimed was corrupt.  It was able to fix it fine.  As far as I could tell, I managed to produce an ODF 1.1 file that had an image that was not in the manifest.  I was working with someone else's files and I don't know that I could reproduce that no matter how hard I tried.

THESE ARE GOOD THINGS TO TEST FOR IN A PLUGFEST

THE ODF 1.2 / ODF 1.1 DOWNLEVEL.

Some ODF 1.1 consumers are relaxed about what they find in the manifest.xml.  The Microsoft Office ODF 1.1 consumers are not ones of those.

WORKAROUND

My recommendation is that ODF 1.2 producers should not include a <manifest:manifest> manifest:version="1.2" attribute unless the manifest is actually introducing something that *requires* ODF 1.2 manifest processing to get right. That is mainly use of encryption provisions that do not follow the default case.

(This is embarrassing.  I think I drafted the text that made this new attribute usage mandatory.  I wasn't thinking about down-level consequences, and that is not like me.  I still think producers should make the deviation rather than be slavish about conformance here, because interoperability is more important in this case.  I don't know if we can relax this with an errata or not.)

Clearly, "Corrupted Document" is also rather heavy-handed (the *Office.org messages and the Microsoft Office messages to this effect are essentially identical).