[Plugtest-org] [ODFPlugtest] no plugfest in Lisbon, other suggestions ?

Louis Suárez-Potts luispo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 00:17:51 CET 2013

On 13-02-07, at 13:32 , "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton at acm.org> wrote:

> Sixty days from a cold start did seem like a difficult time.  Summer or
> perhaps September after the August break might be better.

the usual issue then is school, i.e., fitting our conference in-between sessions so that we can take advantage of lower rates for meeting spaces, should no big Microsoft-sized company provide.

A popular time for academics is spring; late spring might be reasonable?

> This might also allow more concerted attention on some of the high-value
> interoperability topics that could be served by some interoperability and
> resiliency tests.  Those would be a better time for looking into the impact
> of proposed changes for change-tracking as well.

Yes. The issue here that I see is coinciding our interests (impartial and disinterested) with those of implementers (by and large professionally interested though arguably still impartial, as good technology makes for good business, in the end <-not entirely ironic).

Thus, it might be the case that if we can have a plugfest that allows (encourages) the stakeholders—Calligra, OO's Sons/Daughters, even Google, as well as the more public sector ones—to use it as a springboard for their own product releases and work …. The advantage of this coincidence is that it encourages convergence of work and standards, and is lubricated by the quite valuable token of news for developers.

I'm professionally interested in this sort of thing. I'd be very willing to help market it, as I'd benefit in two ways—one of them, perhaps both, even leading to lucre.

Louis