[Plugtest-org] Draft Invitation text

Michiel Leenaars michiel.ml at opendocsociety.org
Sat Sep 12 10:05:51 CEST 2009

> We agreed to go forward with a "pre-invitation" letter on Monday, from
> OpenDoc Society, with a final, official invite in two weeks (Sept. 27th).
>
> ===> Michiel will send a draft of pre-invitation letter to the list, and
> we should all review and raise any concerns ASAP.

All, please find the draft pre-invite below.

Best,
Michiel

---------------

Subject: Announcement ODF Vendor Interoperabilty Event

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have the pleasure to announce the second ODF plugfest, a two day ODF
Interoperability Workshop which will take place in Orvieto on November 2nd and
3rd 2009. This event is organised by OpenDoc Society and a number of other
stakeholders including the OASIS ODF TC, ODF OIC TC and ODF Adoption TC. The
workshop is the second in a series of events that brings together implementors
of OASIS OpenDocument Format/ISO 26300. The first plugfest was held in The
Hague in June this year under the aegis of the Netherlands government.

The Orvieto plugfest will again provide plenty of opportunity to unilaterally
test and discuss implementation issues of ODF with other application
developers. The previous plugfest in The Hague was visited by over sixtyfive
participants from forty different companies, open source projects and
governments.

As was the case in The Hague, we will be inviting a number of representatives
of governments as well to attend as observers. Governments have an important
stake in an open and competitive software market place, both from a governing
point of view as well as from a user point of view. ODF is clearly a game
changing file format. ODF support is nearly universal these days, as the common
goal of a future-proof, vendor neutral format clearly benefits all. Evidently,
ODF creates a much more healthy ecosystem than was allowed by the historical
file-format based application lock-in. Of course there is a bigger trend in
which the move to ODF fits - the growth of a richer and more innovative multi-
vendor landscape, which in itself brings many new challenges besides the
already complex convergence from a wide array of application-specific formats.
We have to deal with the history of decades, predating in many cases our own
employment. This is why precompetitive collaboration like we will see at the
plugfest is so important for our future.

We will send you the preliminary program for the plugfest soon. The aim is to
provide a low-level hands-on interoperability testing environment in which
vendors and community members can fine tune the interoperability capabilities
of their ODF implementations and make test scenario’s, recommendations and
create best practises for implementors. The ultimate goal is to achieve full
seamless interoperability for the entire feature set(s) of ODF across all
suppliers, platforms and supported technologies.

The plugfest is meant for those people within your company or team that write
and architect the code to handle the actual ODF. With many of the teams behind
the competing ODF products on the market attending with their lead developers,
technical management and community leaders, this will hopefully be another
important milestone. We hope that you will send a delegation as well to
participate.

Kind regards,
on behalf of OpenDoc Society

Bert Bakker
President

------------
The organising committee for the second plugfest consists of:

Jeremy Allison (Google)
Peter Amstein (Microsoft)
Zaheda Bhorat (Google)
Basil Cousins (Open Forum Europe)
Roberto Galoppini (OpenOffice.org)
Dennis Hamilton
Bart Hanssens (Fedict)
Don  Harbison (IBM)
Peter Junge (Red Office)
Michiel Leenaars (Opendoc Society)
Doug Mahugh (Microsoft)
Marino Marcich (ODF alliance)
Fabrice Mous (OpenDoc Society)
Sachiko Muto (Open Forum Europe)
Andrew Rist (Oracle)
Luis Suarez-Potts (Sun Microsystems)
Graham Taylor (Open Forum Europe)
Rob Weir (IBM) - chair ODF TC
Jan Wildeboer (Redhat)
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (Sin Microsystems)