[Officeshots] Interoperability testing - first results

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 18 22:03:37 CEST 2013

Hello Milos,

This is very interesting.  Thanks for doing it.  As you know, AOO and LO
have a common ancestry.  So to track down the source of the variation one
approach would be to do a comparison of the rendering of the common
ancestor, OpenOffice.org 3.3.0, to the current AOO and LO.  That would
give a very good clue to what is happening here.

Regards,

-Rob

officeshots-bounces at nlnet.nl wrote on 04/16/2013 02:36:38 AM:

> From: Milos Sramek <sramek.milos at gmail.com>
> To: Officeshots support and development <officeshots at nlnet.nl>
> Date: 04/16/2013 02:38 AM
> Subject: [Officeshots] Interoperability testing - first results
> Sent by: officeshots-bounces at nlnet.nl
>
> Hi,
>
> I have implemented the interoperability testing tools, which I
> mentioned in my previous mails. Currently without network access -
> that would be nice in the future. I convert to other office formats
> and to pdf by command line tools:
> LibreOffice - directly calling LO from command line
> Apache OO - using its "server mode and the DocumentConverter.py script
> MSO: using the OfficeConvert tool (MSO 2013, I used the version sent
> here by Pasqual - thank you, Pasqual for that)
>
> In the attached files you can see how are odf documents displayed by
> LO40, AO34 and MSO13. To enhance the differences, I overlayed the
> documents - black means perfect fit, red/cyan means poor fit
(odt-ov-srt.pdf).

> One can see there that the main interoperability problem of LO and
> AOO on one side and MSO on the other side is line and paragraph
> spacing - There are also other differences, but these are mostly
> 'shadowed" by the shifted lines. Do you have an idea why is it so?
> Ist it just buggy implementation or is it caused by  possible
> ambiguity in interpretation of the ODF standard?
>
> Such differences in formating are well visible and, I think, are a
> hurdle in acceptance of ODF as a platform independent standard. Do
> you have an idea what to do with that? Talk to developers at AOO,
> LO, Microsoft and alsewhere and persuade them to implement ODF in a
> consistent way?
>
> best regards
> Milos
>

> Dňa 10.03.2013 16:12, Milos Sramek wrote / napísal(a):
> Thank you Rob, for pointing me to this tool.
>
> It looks like that its purpose is to analyze problems with opening a
> file in the binary format. I am more concerned with rendering. I is
> a common situation that diffrent tools render in a different way I
> would like to know how severe this is.
>
> Milos
>
> Dňa 08.03.2013 14:41, robert_weir at us.ibm.com wrote / napísal(a):
> officeshots-bounces at nlnet.nl wrote on 03/07/2013 04:50:46 PM:
>
> > From: Michiel Leenaars <michiel.ml at nlnet.nl>
> > To: Officeshots support and development <officeshots at nlnet.nl>,
> > Date: 03/07/2013 04:51 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Officeshots] interoperability testing
> > Sent by: officeshots-bounces at nlnet.nl
> >
> > Hi Milos,
> >
> > > Perhaps there is a chance in Bratislava to set up a Windows machine
with
> > > running MSO 2007/10/13 for our testing purposes. If you find that
> > > interesting, I  can ask Microsoft representatives here in
Bratislava, if

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/gg649868%28v=office.14%29.aspx

> This was beta with Office 2010.  I don't know if Microsoft took this
> further, but it could be useful for testing binary format documents.
>
> -Rob
>

> > OfficeConvert is able to already handle all conversions that MS Office
> > performs, and the Officeshots python factory is trivial to change. I
> > think the biggest part is for someone to go through the Officeshots
> > server code, and dig into the definition of file types. And of course
we
> > need to fit it into the UI.
> >
> > Anyone on this list fluent enough in PHP to go there?
> >
> > Best,
> > Michiel
> >
> > > Regarding the officeshots API: would it be possible to use it also
to do
> > > other types of conversions, not only odf->odf->pdf? Currently,
within a
> > > larger project, I work on a user study, which would enable for
> > > quantitative  evaluation of a "level of interoperability" between
office
> > > applications on the basis of various document standards. The study
is
> > > based on automated conversion of documents (similar to the
officeshots
> > > framework, only running locally). Conversion by AOO, LO an Google
Docs
> > > is already implemented this way (not a big deal, GD using their
API). I