[Officeshots] Interoperability testing - first results

Milos Sramek sramek.milos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 08:36:38 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have implemented the interoperability testing tools, which I mentioned
in my previous mails. Currently without network access - that would be
nice in the future. I convert to other office formats and to pdf by
command line tools:
LibreOffice - directly calling LO from command line
Apache OO - using its "server mode and the DocumentConverter.py script
MSO: using the OfficeConvert tool (MSO 2013, I used the version sent
here by Pasqual - thank you, Pasqual for that)

In the attached files you can see how are odf documents displayed by
LO40, AO34 and MSO13. To enhance the differences, I overlayed the
documents - black means perfect fit, red/cyan means poor fit
(odt-ov-srt.pdf).

One can see there that the main interoperability problem of LO and AOO
on one side and MSO on the other side is line and paragraph spacing -
There are also other differences, but these are mostly 'shadowed" by the
shifted lines. Do you have an idea why is it so? Ist it just buggy
implementation or is it caused by  possible ambiguity in interpretation
of the ODF standard?

Such differences in formating are well visible and, I think, are a
hurdle in acceptance of ODF as a platform independent standard. Do you
have an idea what to do with that? Talk to developers at AOO, LO,
Microsoft and alsewhere and persuade them to implement ODF in a
consistent way?

best regards
Milos