[Officeshots] Fwd: Office Convert is compatible with office 2013?

Pasqual Milvaques pasqual.milvaques at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 12:51:33 CET 2012

my idea was using office convert to transform all the office documents in a
directory tree to their odf equivalents. I pass you the script I have
designed for doing it (I have done a bit of testing to it so it must work).
the script moves the original files to backup directories but makes them
hidden and read only.
My idea was to put this running as a windows task in a machine in my
organization pointing to a shared directory, anybody who wants to transform
their documents puts his directory of files in the shared directory, waits
for the transformation finishing and takes back his directory.
well, that was the idea, but at the end you never know if any of your 1000
documents could be translated better by libreoffice than by office. my
testing shows that normally microsoft office does better translations for
'doc, docx -> odt', it's for that that I looked for a thing like office
convert.

In any way something like an acid test (as for the html standard) should be
build for odf because in this moment the rendering of a lot of documents
differs significantly between libreoffice and microsoft office. sometimes
the transformed documents don't open with the other suite. you can try with
this as an example if you want (transform it in office and open in
libreoffice):
http://www.microsoft.com/es-es/download/confirmation.aspx?id=3497

there should be some compatibility test to pass so a suite could say that
is odf compatible. the java tck is an example of this

I can give you a hand with documenting the tool as you asked although I
don't know how much time I could dedicate to this and the volume of the
work. detail me it a bit and I will do the best I can. If you want to
publish the bat file I send to you it's ok

thanks