[Officeshots] New feature: ODF Anonymiser

Michiel Leenaars michiel.ml at nlnet.nl
Tue Jan 5 15:40:40 CET 2010

Hi Thomas,

> > To use the Anonymiser, simply check the appropriate checkbox on the
> > front page.
> >
> > The ODF Anonymiser is written and maintained by the people who created
> > the iTools Python libraries [1]. The Anonymiser is part of that library
> > (called ODF Greek). Many thanks for their contribution.
>
> Having such a tool on a website is a bit odd, people have to send that private
> document to your site after which it is hopefully removed.

There is some value in it, in some use cases a document is uploaded
and only then a problem is found which requires a bug fix in some application.
Trusting the main server or even the factories behind Officeshots.org is one
thing (don't trust either with your nuclear war head documents), but uploading
a document to a publicly visible and search engine indexed location like a bug
tracker is another.

Surely, we all would love someone to cook up a quick PyQt gui around
this excellent Python code. Or integrate greeking and submission to Officeshots
natively with their office suite of choice ;).

> Is the ODF Greek stuff available for everyone? I think it would be very useful
> tool indeed. But only if it can be guaranteed that the private document never
> leaves the computer of the user.

It is. The source code can be downloaded through the Python Package Index
(if you have python setup tools installed: easy_install itools). An online
version can be found at:

http://www.hforge.org/odf-i18n-tests/;greek

Best,
Michiel