[ODFPlugtest] MSO [warns about] LO files - 2010 SP1 Info

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Thu Jun 30 21:48:19 CEST 2011

I thought someone asked whether Office 2010 SP1 behaved any differently.  I can't find a message here, so I suppose it was on Twitter or somewhere.

I just installed Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 SP1 (Version 14.6023.1000 32-bit) on Windows 7 64-bit.

 1. WORD 2010 SP1

 1.1 The first message from Word on a file from LibreOffice 3.4.0 Writer was "The file ... cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents.  The detail is "The file is corrupted and cannot be opened."

 1.2 If OK is clicked, there is "Word found unreadable content in ... .  Do you want to recover the contents of this document?  If you trust the source of this document, click Yes."

 1.3 The document will open just fine.

 1.4 For those who say the result does then not pass validation, I wonder if the validator is not validating for ODF 1.1 (what Word 2010 produces) or is there something more interesting?

 2. EXCEL 2010 SP1

I tried a different file from LibreOffice 3.4.0 Calc, and had this report from Excel:

 2.1 The first message is the (1.2) message: "Excel found unreadable content in '... '.  Do you want to recover the contents of this workbook?  If you trust the source of the workbook, click Yes."

 2.2 On clicking "Yes" Excel will provide a Repairs report.  The dialog is
"Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content."

 2.3 There is also a message with more detail: "Excel completed file level validation and repair.  Some parts of this workbook may have been repaired or discarded."

 2.4 There is a link, "Click to view log file listing repairs: "

 2.5 The repair log file, a nice XML document, doesn't have much more information than the dialog, but there is an error code.

 2.6 The repaired document is just fine.  I didn't try saving it to see if it can be read by other ODF consumers.  There are no formulas in the original document, so that should be possible.

 3. POWERPOINT 2010 SP1

 3.1 I saved a presentation using LibreOffice 3.3.2 (stable) and PowerPoint 2010 had no complaint.  I checked the .odp, and 3.3.2 does not set manifest:version on the <manifest:manifest>.

 3.2 I opened and resaved the document using LibreOffice 3.4.0 (trial use) and PowerPoint 2010 SP1 offered a different variation: "PowerPoint found a problem with content in ... .  PowerPoint can attempt to repair the presentation.  If you trust the source of this presentation, click Repair.

 3.3 On clicking "Repair" I received the message, "PowerPoint removed unreadable content in ... [Repaired].  You should review this presentation to determine whether any content was unexpectedly changed or removed."

 3.4 I also see that the [Repaired] appears in the Windows Title Bar for the presentation as well.

 *** end of report ***