[ODFPlugtest] Image Interchange in ODF Documents

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Jun 29 21:34:54 CEST 2011

Here's a similar case closer-in than clipboard protocols and conventions.

The ODF Specification is very agnostic about the formats of images and graphics that are included in binary forms.

My experience is that ODF consumers recognize a variety of these and then produce a document that has the some of them converted to a preferred form of that producer.  The only changes I've seen like this appear to be benign, although it is fun to watch two applications constantly converting the images (or perhaps only their wrappers) from each other.

It would be very interesting to see if any of these varieties cause breakage in consumers or loss of fidelity as the result of producing a different/modified format.

That is, are there interoperability issues here, are they bounded (e.g., formats that are universally safe pretty much), whatever.

I was reminded of this by a thread on a different list:
< http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2011-June/014517.html>

 - Dennis