[ODFPlugtest] Clipboard/Drag-Drop Exchange Formats

joe pally joseph at zcubes.com
Wed Jun 29 20:40:27 CEST 2011

Hi All:

Does ODF cover (or could cover) clipboard and drag-drop exchange formats?

Though most data interchange occurs between apps through data files, it is increasingly common to have  to interchange data through copy/paste and drag-drop among composition/viewer applications and fat-client/web-client combinations. For examples, copy and paste of areas of spreadsheets in some versions of Excel gives the formula as part of the exchange information, and in some versions it avoids the formula (in text mode copy). Given that most web browsers are unable to recieve full information from binary paste, it would be of service to the users to have more intelligent formula data in the exchanged information.

Since exchange of partial data (not always the entire data file) is significant among applications, maybe we need to look at what we could do standardize the clipboard/drag-drop exchange data also.

Best Regards,
Joseph Pally