[ODFPlugtest] plugfest test file results

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 3 23:11:41 CET 2010

plugtest-bounces at opendocsociety.org wrote on 11/03/2010 02:06:52 PM:

> That's also why Louis suggested to ask around if, for instance, students
> at universities could generate test documents and/or help us out with
> testing scenarios in different implementations (many devs are very busy
> with reviewing the ODF 1.2 spec and/or writing code)

What if we "crowd-sourced" this?

In other words, we define a large set of test documents, for example, by
features used, editors used, etc.  This large list is our "wanted list".
The upfront work is defining this list.  Maybe do it based on the table of
contents of the ODF standard, or similar feature list.  Aim for each
sample to be easy to create, no more than 5-10 minutes.

Then publish this list on a web site and invite contributions.  Require a
liberal CC licence on contributions.  Maybe track the wanted list in a
database so we only list "wants" that are not already covered.  Maybe
automatically rename the files according to a naming scheme so we can
easily associate files with the features tested.  Maybe have a
verification stage, which could also be crowd-sourced, to verify that the
uploaded file matches the described scenario.

-Rob