[ODFPlugtest] Registration for Granada Plugfest?

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 4 17:16:57 CET 2010

I've received another question today about how to register.  Honestly, I
don't even know the answer, and that is not good.

Let's look at this from the perspective of someone looking to register. If
the search Google for "odf plugest" they will find this web site as the #1
link:

http://www.odfworkshop.nl/

(Same for Bing)

There is no information there about the Granada Plugfest.  There is a
registration link, but it looks like that is for registrering for the
Orvieto event.

I do not see any link there to the ODF plugfest wiki site, which is where
we are doing the real work:

http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org

But the wiki is not even on the first page of search results on Google.
The fact that existing links point to the subdomain "plugtest" rather than
"plugfest" does not help.

On the wiki page I see the dates and draft program for the Granada
Plugfest.  But no registration.

Under FAQ/How to Register, there is a "Register as  new user" form, but it
is not clear whether that is for registration as a wiki editor, or as a
participant in the plugfest.

And then we have this 3rd thing, the plugtest at opendocsociety.org mailing
list.  How does one get on that.

So I'm concerned that we seem to have three different user directories:

1) Those who are registered for a particular plugfest
2) Those who are on the mailing list
3) Those who have a wiki account login

Can we make this clearer for visitors?  Some suggestions:

1) It looks like the wiki is now at plugfest.opendocsociety.org with a
redirect to handle the old links to the plugtest domain.  This is good,
but we should try to update any existing links so they point to the
correct name.  The more we are consistent in how we link to that page, the
higher it will get in search results.

2) Update http://www.odfworkshop.nl/ so it features a notice of the
Granada plugfest and points prominently to plugfest.opendocsociety.org.
Unless we're using that registration form, remove it.  But if we are using
it, then we need to update it and link to it from the wiki.

3) On the wiki, give clear instructions on :  1) How to join the mailing
list, 2) How to get a wiki account, and 3) How to register for the
plugfest.  Ideally registering for the plugfest would automatically join
you to the mailing list and set up a wiki account.  Don't know if that is
possible.

-Rob