[ODFPlugtest] FOSDEM and ODF devroom

robert_weir at us.ibm.com robert_weir at us.ibm.com
Sun Dec 6 20:15:29 CET 2009

Something that might be fun:

Have a contents.  Someone comes up with a problem to solve, something
within the domain of document processing.  Not too hard.  Something that
could be designed, coded and tested, say, in two or three hours.  It would
need to be kept secret, obviously, from any of the toolkit projects.

Then at the ODF devroom, the problem is revealed and each "team",
representing a different toolkit project, has 2 or 3 hours to implement a
solution to the problem.  You do that in the morning for example.  Then
after lunch each team gets a chance to present their program, how they
solved the problem, what features of their toolkit made the problem easy
or difficult, etc.

It is not necessary, but we could award some prize for the most elegant
solution, or the solution that required the least amount of code, or the
solution that was completed first, or whatever.  You could have a number
of different award categories.

We then publish the code of all of the solutions, and maybe follow up with
an article comparing and contrasting the different approaches taken.

-Rob