[WebODF] Switching from Qt4 to Qt5?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau friedrich at kogmbh.com
Mon May 5 15:17:59 CEST 2014

Am Montag, 5. Mai 2014, 09:39:35 schrieb Jos van den Oever:
> On 04/30/2014 05:02 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > tl;dr Any showstopper for using Qt5 instead of Qt4 for WebODF tools?
>
> No problem for me either. Qt5 seems like a reasonable requirement.

Okay, so sounds we should soon go for that then. Though first need to make
sure the CI system will also deal with it :)

Thanks all for the (positive) feedback so far.

> I do
> think that the way the browser component works has changed from 5.0 to
> 5.3.

Now, there is QtWebKit as official Qt module. It will be deprecated though in
the future, once the new module for Web stuff which is based on Blink is done.
Just, that module, last called QtWebEngine, is still not officially released,
at least not part of Qt 5.3 and possibly not even as add-on.
See http://qt-project.org/wiki/QtWebEngine

So QtWebKit it is for now.

> My suggestion is to port to 5.3 so the code can take advantage of
> the latest API. When that is done, the required version might be lowered
> to 5.2 or 5.1.

5.3 is not yet out, and might not be for a few more weeks (planned release
date 7th May 2014 will not be hit, as even the RC is not yet out).

And the new stuff for QtWebKit in 5.3, at least promoted, are only
* Support for HTML5 Video Track. Subtitles and captions for HTML5 video.
* Support for Indexed DB API. See http://www.w3.org/TR/IndexedDB/
* Improved support for Mac HiDPI mode
(see http://qt-project.org/wiki/New-Features-in-Qt-5.3)
thus not really interesting to us. Also do we not do too fancy things with the
API right now.

So going for Qt 5.2 for now I propose.

Next step: making sure CI system can use Qt5

Cheers
Friedrich
--
Friedrich W. H. Kossebau // KO GmbH