[WebODF] EditInfo and change tracking

Philip Peitsch philip.peitsch at gmail.com
Thu May 9 03:17:50 CEST 2013

Hi all,

Playing with some more of the interactive editing and tracking and I was
hit by a small question...

Is there any technical reason that the edit system couldn't be implemented
using the standard ODT change tracking mechanisms? (
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html#__RefHeading__1415168_253892949
)

Looking at the spec, the change-info provides an author, time and optional
comment related to the change. Lining this up visually with the start and
endpoints seems simple enough.

The primary benefit of this approach is that documents with change tracking
active will actually display sensibly in WebODDF... and editing from WebODF
will export nicely into other suites.

This isn't a high priority item for me, more a technical musing about
whether it was specifically considered and avoided :)

Thanks again for all your work.

--
Philip Peitsch
Mob: 0439 810 260