[WebODF] Paste behaviours

Philip Peitsch P.Peitsch at qsrinternational.com
Wed Jun 5 01:08:13 CEST 2013

Hi all,

I've put up an experiment allowing paste support in Firefox & IE10 (& Chrome). I'm don't think it's a good idea to merge this directly into master though, as I'm not yet convinced it covers all the edge cases. However, I don't have any requirement to carry this further forward at this point either so this branch is effectively dead. Perhaps this will save someone some extra work and research when they move to doing this properly though...

https://gitorious.org/webodf/webodf/merge_requests/19

Key problems:
* Doesn't support multiple pastes when holding ctrl+v. Will only paste once and stop
* Doesn't work in Safari 6 (current version on 10.7+). Safari is really painfully strict about only firing paste events if content editable is active BEFORE the key presses are received, making this workaround not function

Other than that, it's pretty solid (i.e., I can't prove it is actually broken). For my own purposes, the fact that this implementation can never work in Safari means there is no point pursuing it further, as that is the only browser I need to support :-/

Any questions, feel free to bother me!

For those interested, I've attached a sandbox file that I used to come up with this approach.

Cheers,

Philip