[Plugtest-org] Your comments please

Michiel Leenaars michiel.ml at opendocsociety.org
Tue Oct 13 16:33:07 CEST 2009

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have the pleasure to invite you to participate in the second ODF plugfest, a
two day ODF Interoperability Workshop which will take place in the Italian
city of Orvieto on November 2nd and 3rd 2009 at Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio
di Orvieto. This important event is organised by OpenDoc Society together with
a number of other stakeholders including the OASIS ODF TC, ODF
OIC TC, ODF Adoption TC and the Netherlands government (through the
Netherlands in Open Connection Program) .

The workshop is the second in a series of events that brings together
implementors of OASIS OpenDocument Format/ISO 26300, after the first plugfest
which was held in The Hague in June this year - which was visited by over
sixtyfive participants from forty different companies, open source projects
and governments.

In addition to the regular interoperability testing activities, we have some
very interesting sessions for you as can be seen in the attached preliminary
program.  We are most excited to have Doug Mahugh from Microsoft Corporation
presenting for the first time the mapping of his companies legacy binary
Office file formats to ODF, which we consider to be a another major step
towards interoperability across time and products. Although ODF has become the
default format in many applications these days, one of the key issues when
working with document standards is how to deal with going back and forth
reliably between ODF and legacy formats from various applications. Doug will
talk about the internal mappings as used by Microsoft and will go into detail
what challenges their engineers have had in natively implementing ODF in their
flagship products Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010. We hope other vendors will
follow suit and release other relevant mappings of legacy file formats - both
for review and for implementing.

Of course the Orvieto plugfest will again provide plenty of opportunity to
multilaterally test and discuss implementation issues of ODF with other
application developers. We have already seen major progress in
interoperability between participating applications since the previous
plugfest. The aim is to provide a low-level hands-on interoperability testing
environment in which vendors and community members can fine tune the
interoperability capabilities of their ODF implementations and make test
scenario's, recommendations and create best practises for implementors. The
ultimate goal is to achieve full seamless interoperability for the entire
feature set(s) of ODF across all suppliers, platforms and supported
technologies.

We hope that you will send a delegation as well to participate. With many of
the teams behind the competing productivity tools on the market attending with
their lead developers, technical management and/or their community leaders,
this will hopefully be another important milestone. There is no fee required
to participate, thanks to generous sponsorship from Fondazione Cassa di
Risparmio di Orvieto and NLnet foundation. The plugfest is meant for those
people within your company or team that write and architect the code to handle
the actual ODF. Would you be so kind as to inform us if you or a
representative from your company plans to attend this event or not?

If you have any questions, need assistance or just need more details, we will
gladly help you out. Please contact Fabrice Mous (fabrice.mous at
opendocsociety.org) or Michiel Leenaars (michiel.leenaars at
opendocsociety.org), or one of the other members of the organising committee
(*). At your request we can send you a letter to assist with any visa
applications. Meanwhile, you can already go to the plugfest website
(http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org) to look at the results of the previous
plugfest as well as the preliminary plans for the next one. We hope to see you
in Orvieto.

Kind regards,
on behalf of OpenDoc Society

Bert Bakker
President

------------
(*) The organising committee for the second ODF plugfest consists of:

Jeremy Allison (Google)
Peter Amstein (Microsoft)
Zaheda Bhorat (Google)
Pim Bliek (Netherlands in Open Connection)
Basil Cousins (Open Forum Europe)
Roberto Galoppini (OpenOffice.org)
Dennis Hamilton
Bart Hanssens (Fedict) - chair ODF OIC TC
Don  Harbison (IBM) - chair ODF Adoption TC
Peter Junge (Red Office)
Morten Kjaersgaard (OSL)
Michiel Leenaars (Opendoc Society)
Doug Mahugh (Microsoft)
Marino Marcich (ODF alliance)
Fabrice Mous (OpenDoc Society)
Sachiko Muto (Open Forum Europe)
Andrew Rist (Oracle)
Luis Suarez-Potts (SUN Microsystems)
Graham Taylor (Open Forum Europe)
Rob Weir (IBM) - chair ODF TC
Jan Wildeboer (Redhat)
Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (SUN Microsystems)