[Officeshots] interoperability testing

Milos Sramek sramek.milos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 13:32:15 CET 2013

Dňa 07.03.2013 22:50, Michiel Leenaars wrote / napísal(a):
> Hi Milos,
Hi Michiel,

thanks for your response.

>> Perhaps there is a chance in Bratislava to set up a Windows machine with
>> running MSO 2007/10/13 for our testing purposes. If you find that
>> interesting, I  can ask Microsoft representatives here in Bratislava, if
>> they would be willing to donate the necessary licenses.
>
> I have some licences for testing machines for MSO 2007 for you. John
> Haug or Jim Thatcher might be able to provide copies for c2010 and
> 2013 - as he and Doug have done in prior instances - I will send their
> contact details to you off list.
I would like to do everything legally clean. So, if this would be OK
from the point of view of licenses, then I would prefer to use these.
However, we would need also a license for Windows - maybe three, I do no
know if 2007, 2010 and 2013 can run on one system simultaneously.
Otherwise, I will try to talk to Microsoft Slovakia and ask them to
donate the licenses. The project I mentioned is run by an advisory body
of Slovak government, where also Microsoft (indirectly, through a
non-for-profit organization) is involved. But I would prefer to not to
ask MS for the licenses, if another option exists :).

> There is no reason other document conversions shouldn't work with
> minor modifications, I think we designed it generically. Of course
> there are no validators for the binary formats for instance, but it
> would be useful without already as Jos remarked.
>
> OfficeConvert is able to already handle all conversions that MS Office
> performs, and the Officeshots python factory is trivial to change. I
> think the biggest part is for someone to go through the Officeshots
> server code, and dig into the definition of file types. And of course
> we need to fit it into the UI.
Regarding my tool, I would prefer to access a "conversion service" from
a script (currently I run LO and AOO directly on the same machine and
access Google docs through their API). If that is possible also for MSO,
rendering of documents for testing would be simple: One only needs to
create a 'master document' in a certain version of application in its
default format (e.g, ODT in AOO/LO od DOCX im MSO). All the necessary
conversions and renderings can then be generated automatically, followed
by preparation of "views" for evaluation. Everything is written in bash,
so I need to run it on Linux. If no access to MSO over a script is
possible, manual conversion and copying would be required.

Is there a possibility to access a factory directly, avoiding the
Officeshots API? Does such script exist? This would simplify things on
my side. In any case, our MSO factory would immediately enable ODT
conversions through the officesots web. And, if somebody updates the web
UI, all conversions will be accessible there.

Of course, the code will be available to all.

> Anyone on this list fluent enough in PHP to go there?
I unfortunately am not:(

best regards
Milos