[Officeshots] Easier authentication file - feature request

Michiel Leenaars michiel.ml at nlnet.nl
Thu Oct 15 10:10:12 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I was wondering what you all thought about the following feature request annex
process improvement:

currently an externally signed certificate (CAcert or other) is used to
identify the factory when it connects to the XML RPC service. This certificate
is manually installed in the browser and subsequently has to be exported and
then converted to PEM format, which means additional work in installing
software for many.

The feature I would like to see is to directly generate a passwordless PEM
file for the user on the Officeshots.org website. Once the users' email
address is validated by us (which is all the certificate authorities do as
well), the user can log in and download the PEM file and get straight to work.
Since the only dedicated use for this certificate is the Officeshots service,
this I feel is the safest way to operate - and it saves the factory operator a
lot of work.

Best,
Michiel Leenaars
NLnet foundation