[Officeshots] Development server down

Sander Marechal s.marechal at jejik.com
Fri Apr 24 12:29:33 CEST 2009

Sander Marechal wrote:
> Bad news for the moment. The development server at dev.ooficeshots.org
> is down. There is a problem with mod_gnutls that causes Apache to use
> 100% CPU and never finish any request. It started around 5 AM this
> morning (European time) and nothing I do seems to work.

The development server is back online. It turns out that there is a bug
in libdb which can cause it to enter an infinite busy loop under some
rare circumstances. This means gnutls hangs when it tries to write SSL
session cache data.

I have tried switching from libdb to memcached but unfortunately
mod_gnutls on Debian Lenny is built without memcached support[1]. So,
I've switched back again to libdb. If this issue occurs again I will
turn off gnutls caching alltogether. I am not turning it off yet because
it would make the development server very slow. I just hope Debian fixed
this bug so I can switch to memcached.

Sander Marechal