[ODFPlugtest] Scenarios and What Conformance? (was Re: MSO does not read LO files)

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Jun 29 18:17:44 CEST 2011

I like your test.

Why not just provide the file as part of the test, since one question is about consumers.

With regard to who produces it, I think that is a separate scenario check.

Even though what it is all about is interoperability, from those two cases we know what the interop cases are.

It is, of course, perfectly reasonable that OO.o 3.3.0 and 3.2.0 (the one I still run) wouldn't produce the attribute, its requirement wasn't in the specification yet (or not long enough for anyone to have noticed, etc.).  So a late changed breaks whatever their implemented anticipation of ODF 1.2 conformance is.

So when the validators check conformance, do they provide an assessment of the particular conformance that they encounter?  I.e., a Conformant OpenDocument [1.2] Spreadsheet Document shall use OpenFormula.  A Conformant Extended OpenDocument [1.2] Spreadsheet Document could still use the OpenOffice.org formula (cute that it's an extension), or whatever the formula namespace and syntax that Microsoft Office uses in their ODF 1.1 documents.  (This distinction also applies to certain use of formulas in Conformant [Extended] Text Documents.)

Are these far more material provisions being reported on by validators?  Or do the validators assume there is just one conformance as was the case for ODF 1.1?

That sort of thing is probably useful to kick around at a plugfest too.  What conformance are we talking about?

 - Dennis