[ODFPlugtest] MSO does not read LO files

Dennis E. Hamilton dennis.hamilton at acm.org
Wed Jun 29 01:15:20 CEST 2011

Andreas,

 1. If I take this to the ODF TC it will be with a JIRA issue during the current Public Comment Period.  I want to avoid that.  I'd rather take an advisory to the OIC TC.

 2. I find it strange that we are penalizing any consumer that is strict about how it consumes ODF 1.1 Manifests while insisting that ODF 1.2 producers make such manifests for no meaningful reason than to check off a tiny conformance box, and penalizing the ODF 1.1 consumer.  We can do that.  I don't think it is a responsible, real-world approach.
    Remember, for most of its life, the ODF 1.2 Specification had no such provision as <manifest:manifest> manifest:version.  So it is not like there was some particular need for it.  It was an afterthought.  It apparently would not be missed if it disappeared entirely.

There is *nothing* in the ODF 1.1 specification that says how a manifest consumer is expected to be generous, or deal with tags and attributes and their values that are not understood and are not specified in ODF 1.1, no matter what namespace is used.  I'm pretty certain that there is nothing about that in ODF 1.2 Part 3.

 3. My recommendation is that the attribute be omitted *unless* there is something in the manifest that is essential and is not provided for in ODF 1.1.  That is, the manifest.xml is ODF 1.1 compatible.  The attribute is useful where ignore-what-you-don't understand would get a down-level consumer in trouble, such as failing to recognize additional attributes that apply to decrypting an encrypted document.  Of course, ignore-what-don't understand down-level consumers are going to ignore the attribute anyhow, aye?

I do think this is an useful topic for the Plugfest.

 - Dennis