[ODFPlugtest] Microsoft-provided test documents

Michiel Leenaars michiel.ml at nlnet.nl
Mon Oct 18 23:57:19 CEST 2010

Dear all,

for those of you who did not attend the Brussels ODF Plugfest in person, but
read the announcement on the mailing list, the set of test documents that
Microsoft has been so kind to provide for the plugfest [1] have not yet been
put into Officeshots.org like the other test suites we have because the
license text seems to exclude that possibility.

One option is to put the documents through the Officeshots.org anonymiser
service and greek out all text before importing the test suite (which seems
legal, assuming the technical markup itself as per the ODF specification does
not itself carry a copyright notice). That would be a partial solution (with
regards to validation checks) but would mean the loss of all meaningful self-
describing content. So clearly, not optimal for interop testing.

The good news is that John Philips is currenty working with the legal team at
Microsoft to clear that non-technical barrier in a more official way. We hope
for a quick resolution, so we can all see the results in Officeshots.org soon!

On behalf of OpenDoc Society,
Michiel Leenaars

[1] http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/5/4/5547AE99-D04B-4DFF-
B1C8-586A7D0B454F/ODF%20File%20Format%20Test%20Files.zip