[ODFPlugtest] ODF interop at DII event in Brussels tomorrow

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Nov 12 12:08:55 CET 2009

On Thursday 12. November 2009 01.53.10 Doug Mahugh wrote:
> This issue is a good example of why the ODF format sometimes makes it
> very hard to achieve good interoperability. There are two completely
> different and mutually incompatible ways of specifying a shape's
> gradient:  <draw:gradient>,  or <svg:linearGradient> and
> <svg:radialGradient>.  I don't know the history of this situation, but in
> order to improve ODF interoperability we need to fix the problem, and
> modify the standard so that it includes a single consistent and
> interoperable approach to gradients.

I'm a bit surprised you come to the conclusion that having two different
approaches to a similar problem is causing interoperability problems. You
know how cynical that sounds, right? :D

Anyway, eyes on the ball again. In this case I think all office suites should
*read* both kinds of structures and while writing write out what is the most
appropriate for their situation. I'd say that all non-trivial ODF
implementations should use the svg based solution while writing, which
includes MSOffice.

ODF implementations that are smaller (think webservice, report generator
etc) may opt to go for the draw:gradient.

So, Its not a wonderfully elegant situation but perfectly possible to handle
for MSOffice and others. If you disagree or if I missed something important,
let us know please.

So lets fix things and get to the next issue.
--
Thomas Zander