[ODFPlugtest] writing implementation specific defaults

Wouter van Vugt wouter at code-counsel.net
Thu Jun 18 20:31:13 CEST 2009

I think you should focus a little more on what an average user expects
to see happening.

My guess is that when my mother, father or sister would place a picture
somewhere, her auntie in New York should see that picture exactly there.
Users derives value out of the positioning. Perhaps because they have
composed a bunch of images to seamlessly overlap, whatever. The simple
fact is that each and every implementation needs to know the exact
details of what was used when the document was authored. There is only
one way:

If a value has no default, or the value differs from the default,
persist it.

Common peeps, how hard is this? I am a little shocked that we are
starting to discuss edge cases over the default case. Or new
super-awesome layout ideas over normal usage.

If you want your printer to adapt, you specify a different paper size
when printing, and the app adapts it as you wish. If you have impaired
sight, you open the document in your speech enabled app, and it'll
probably start speaking without all too much hassle. The document
however still indicates at load time that it was on paper size X. My
point is not that a document must display the same on A4 as on US
Letter. My point is that each implementer must be given a chance to
ensure that it opens the document the way the author intended it. And
that is just only possible if we follow the cardinal rule of:

If a value has no default, or the value differs from the default,
persist it.

If your application wants to default to US Letter on documents created
as A4, whatever. Please do so. You might have a winning feature. It is
totally besides the point.

By the way. I think there will be no average author in the world that
will be able to 'freeze' the layout. Everyone is already expecting it to
be frozen. Why else is it that we were looking at differences in page
count? If we were not hoping for them to be the same!

Does anyone disagree with the fact that common users will expect to see
an image in location X because that's where they placed it? And that
they do not expect to have to 'freeze' layout first?

Can we please move on?

Wouter van Vugt

Code Counsel
Sharing Knowledge with Passion