[ODFPlugtest] writing implementation specific defaults

Hanssens Bart Bart.Hanssens at fedict.be
Thu Jun 18 15:43:04 CEST 2009

Mm, it was already mentioned during the event:

- applications really should write out the values, even (or especially) if they regard these settings as their (implementation specific) default values (OOo may choose a default page margin of 2cm, while KOffice may prefer 2.5cm, for instance)

- I second the notion that the standard shouldn't specify default values for page margins etc (perhaps other defaults would make sense, but not page margins, page size etc)

- a reader can perhaps display it with 2cm margin, but if the user overrules it ("show every doc with 5cm margin"), than that's his/her own choice of course. But at least it's stored inside the document, so implementations can make a reasonable attempt...

So, I'd suggest that I or Rob or some other OASIS-member takes this to the OIC / ODF TC, so the next version (perhaps 1.2, perhaps Next) specifies that implementation-specific (default) values *must* be written out.

Best regards,

Bart