[ODFPlugtest] writing implementation specific defaults

Wouter van Vugt wouter at code-counsel.net
Thu Jun 18 14:42:35 CEST 2009

I was told earlier this week that ODF defines around 1000 default
values. Take your pick.

By the way. I do not intend to discuss _which_ values should have a
default. TCs can do that. I intend to indicate to the TC that they
should do:
 - look at sensible defaults, and when found, define them. If none are
found, fine with me.
 - Make it mandatory for applications to write out any value that is
different from the ODF default

Not that hard to understand without samples I would suspect.

> IMHO - the document should be self-sustaining, containing enough
> information to render it in the way intended.

In the way I intended? Like when I intended that image to appear 20
centimeters from the left border? Of course it is true that those with
impaired sight have little use for that image. Doesn't matter if it is
20 centimeters, or 30. That's probably why we have ALT attributes too,
right? I do not see how that fits in to the picture. A default is never
advice. Because of your attitude we have rendering issues across the
board. Especially in the most common situation of people looking at the
document and expect to see what I intended for them to see. Apart from a
special viewing pane that changes layout I want my document to appear as
is.

Does anyone else but Mr Wildeboer have an opinion?

Oh yeah, I quote Roman:
***you will be surprised how many customers actually come back and
somehow). Not having default values or having them application specific
is an open invitation for this sort of scenarios.***

I am one of those customers.

Wouter van Vugt

Code Counsel
Sharing Knowledge with Passion