[ODFPlugtest] writing implementation specific defaults

Jan H Wildeboer jwildebo at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 12:41:48 CEST 2009

Wouter van Vugt wrote:

> My main point is that the situation with sensible defaults should be
> coming from the spec, not from the app.

Please do give some insight. Tell us some examples where you see
sensible defaults.

I mostly see stuff where it doesn't make sense.

Paper size? Region specific, no sensible default possible

Borders? Paper size specific, also depends on printable size of your
printer, sometimes you want to create bleeding content for a reason etc.
- no sensible default possible

Font size? Forget it.

For interop the old rule of "less is more" holds very strong. I expect a
standard to give me posible values but bo defaults. A standard *might*
have some suggestions as informal notes, to explain the use of a certain
attribute, but the standard should not move into the values themselves.

Jan

--
Jan H Wildeboer          |
EMEA Open Source Affairs | Office: +49 (0)89 205071-207
D-85609 Dornach/Munich   | eMail:  jan.wildeboer at redhat.com

Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Otto-Hahn-Strasse 20, 85609 Dornach bei Muenchen
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 153243
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Brendan Lane,Charlie Peters,Michael Cunningham,
Charles Cachera