[ODFPlugtest] virtual plugfests

Wed Jun 17 02:19:19 CEST 2009

Hi,

as you probably know, Michiel kindly offered to keep the plugtest wiki online
"until the end of time" :-) This means we can continue plugfesting in a virtual way,
without having to worry about travel arrangements and timezones (see below)

*** For those who couldn't make it to The Hague: you can still participate !

So if you haven't done it yet, please step forward and sign up at
http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=start&do=register

(send a note if you don't receive your password in a timely matter)

I'll come up with a summary of the test session, a FAQ on how to participate etc
a.s.a.p.

Basically, the idea is very simple:

- there are wikipages with relevant scenarios, containing a list of steps to be
performed to createa document, spreadsheet, ... in a product-independent way
- you execute the steps in your favorite application and upload the document
- then you grab a copy of a document created by another application and note
down the results, issues, suggestions... on the wiki
- analyze the results and perhaps you can fix some bugs or make suggestions for
improving the spec  :-)

For example, this scenario is a nice one to get started with:
http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=scenarios2:chartspread

Big fat disclaimer: this is about testing interoperability in a very efficient and
user-centric way,
Successfully executing the scenarios does not guarantee that your favorite
implementation is complete, conformant or correct, and it does not mean
that your product is "certified".

*** For those who did make it to The Hague, keep up the good work:

Well, you know it works ;-) If you haven't been able to do it just yet, could you
please add your remarks, comments, ... on the scenarios we've been testing
during the event on the wiki, say, by Friday evening ?
And of course, don't forget to also upload your version of the document,  so
other people can test your document in their implementation.

You can already start on the next round, since participants did a great job in
creating additional scenarios, like:

http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=scenarios:animation
http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=scenarios:toc
http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=scenarios:connector
http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=scenarios:simplenumberedlist
http://plugtest.opendocsociety.org/doku.php?id=scenarios2:imageinshape

(We might reorganize the menu structure and clean up the pages a little bit,
but the info will still be there of course. We do appreciate all your hard work !)

Best regards,

Bart